The Torchwood Institute - A Doctor Who and Torchwood Blog

Friday, September 07, 2007

BBC America

I think it is worth pointing out how much BBC America is promoting the US premiere of Torchwood -- and the start of the first David Tennant series on the channel as well.

I've definitely felt that Doctor Who's profile in the US has gone up over the last year -- there are people that have become new fans, as opposed to those of us that have been Doctor Who fans for decades.

The thing is, Doctor Who is massive now in the UK -- and it's certainly not as massive here in the US that it is there. But Who is by far one of the biggest continuing series that is imported into the US, and I think BBC America has high expectations for Torchwood in raising the profile of their network.

My impression is that it's some of the old-school Doctor Who fans that like Torchwood the least -- but at the same time, many people that have come into Doctor Who since 2005 -- and even some that didn't like Who in any format -- seem to really like Torchwood

2 Comments:

At 10:51 PM, Blogger kkaylynne said...

I found Torchwood before finding the current Dr. Who series. I was a big Tom Baker fan eons ago. :) Torchwood has grabbed me bigtime. I am promoting it to everyone I know. Finally! A program I can get into. It has been a long time indeed.

 
At 6:12 AM, Blogger Chris said...

I've seen the Torchwood series 1 episodes via BitTorrent. I think it's a great show, but a bit uneven for its first six or seven episodes. After that though it really finds its niche, gets a full head of steam and keeps going. I can't wait for series 2.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home