The Torchwood Institute - A Doctor Who and Torchwood Blog

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Ratings thoughts

Following up on Jack from Torchwood.TV's comment about the ratings on Sci Fi.

I think it's really too early to make any solid conclusions about how successful Doctor Who is on Sci Fi. It's not the obvious hit that it was in the UK, but that was never going to be in the cards.

I wouldn't be surprised to discover that it was the most successful show on Sci Fi this week. I also wouldn't be surprised if it was the most successful British important of the week, as it'll do better than anything on BBC America. I believe the only other competition at the moment for that is Hustle.

Really, at the end of the day "success" for Doctor Who in the United States will be determined if Sci Fi picks up seasons 2 and 3, and the bonus prize will be if they pick up Torchwood.

One of the nice things about the Hugo nominations is that they aren't just a national award in the UK, but an international award. At this point we're almost used to the idea that Doctor Who was amongst the best shows on British television, but we also have a chance to see how it compares against Science Fiction and Fantasy series from multiple countries as well.

1 Comments:

At 8:29 PM, Blogger Cap said...

I have to say, loved the post. I have been a huge fan of Hustle on AMC but got to catch the new Doctor Who. Briliant! While I am unable to watch everything that strikes my fancy these two have made my list. You have a good feel for market dynamics and it has been a pleasure.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home