The Torchwood Institute - A Doctor Who and Torchwood Blog

Friday, January 13, 2006

Twenty Years

I'm recognizing that this month is my twentieth anniversary with Doctor Who fandom. And it's nice to celebrate that anniversary with a new series of Doctor Who appearing on a new home in only two months. And actually, it's even better -- this isn't one of those times where I'd be spending my days worrying if the new series is any good, because I already know it is.

I wrote about my first experiences with the series about ten years ago, many of those thoughts are still true. It's still my favorite series, and it's great that even the new version may be new and shiny, but it's also the same old show that grabbed me as a child.

(Obviously, there's some nervousness on whether enough of the general Sci-Fi channel audience sticks around for it, but I've seen how the new series plays with the people that aren't as hardcore a Doctor Who fan as I am, and most of them love it as well.)

I can trace so many of the best things in my life to Doctor Who in some fashion. My friends, my girlfriend, my career, and so many things -- so no, it's not "just another television programme" to me. I hope that there is another group of people that will discover that same thing in a few months...just like there have been in the UK...

By now I know that Doctor Who will be there for the rest of my life.




I'm so thrilled that Doctor Who is now a stablemate with that other excellent Sci Fi revival, Battlestar Galactica. I'd say it's just like 1979, but this is even better. And Sci Fi Friday has a great tradition; great series like the two Stargates, Farscape, and a recent home for the beloved Firefly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home