The Torchwood Institute - A Doctor Who and Torchwood Blog

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Triumph of a Time Lord

I've written about Henry Jenkins before in my other blog, and I certainly first saw his name in connection with his work with John Tulloch on Science Fiction Audiences: Watching Doctor Who and Star Trek.

So I'm quite intrigued to see an interview that he had with Matt Hills concerning the new series and a book Matt Hills is writing called Triumph of a Time Lord. And the interview certainly brings out all of the various connections that led towards the new series being a success.

It is also one of the first times that I've seen some detailed analysis about how Doctor Who is marketed internationally. I suspect that Tennant's accent as the Doctor was certainly constructed as one that is more internationally friendly than Eccleston's was, for example.

There are a few spoilers for series two, which starts on Sci Fi tomorrow. It's an interview in two parts: part one, part two.

There's one other Triumph of a Time Lord to talk about today, and that's Doctor Who being recognized as the longest-running sci-fi tv show but Guiness World Records. I'm not much for inter-series rivalry; I like Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, Farscape, and even if it's a show I don't watch regularly -- like Stargate -- I certainly don't have a probelm with other people being a fan of those series. But I think it was interesting how much controvery that they had made a significant reference to Stargate SG:1 as tbe longest running series in the most recent edition. I think there were a couple of different factors -- one, the long history of the series has been a matter of pride for Doctor Who fans for as long as I can remember, and I think there is a little bit of international rivalry going on, especially as the latest version of Doctor Who has proven to be far more internationally successful than many American genre shows like Stargate.

Don't forget -- there will be a Doctor Who marathon on Sci Fi tomorrow, and then in the evening we get both The Christmas Invasion and New Earth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home