The Torchwood Institute - A Doctor Who and Torchwood Blog

Thursday, February 23, 2006

Eve Myles is Gwen Cooper

The embargo has passed, and yes, Eve Myles will be joining John Barrowman in Torchwood.

This isn't the first Gwen that Eve Myles has played in the Doctor Who universe. She was in The Unquiet Dead. Since Russell T Davies is quoted as saying that the character of Gwen in Torchwood was written with Eve in mind, it seems reasonable to believe that even though they are two different characters seperated by centuries, that there may be some connection to the two Cardiff-based Gwens.

And I didn't make a Buffy The Vampire Slayer connection before -- we've got some sort of temporal scar in Cardiff, which will presumably serve much the same purpose as the Hellmouth in Sunnydale.

In other Torchwood news, the Doctor Who site story mentions the following, which adds to our behind-the-scenes knowledge.


A BBC Wales production for BBC Three, Torchwood is written by Russell T Davies and Chris Chibnall, with contributing writers including P J Hammond and Toby Whithouse. The producer is Richard Stokes and executive producers are Julie Gardner and Russell T Davies.


See the official BBC Doctor Who site for more information.

3 Comments:

At 6:38 AM, Blogger Christian-Mark Cawley said...

While I'm pretty sure that "Gwen" and "Gwyneth" hail from the same source, Eve's character in "The Unquiet Dead" was called "Gwyneth"...

 
At 2:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was told about Torchwood by a friend. He asked me to download an episode for him. I watched that episode, and as it happens it was featuring Gwen in Random Shoes. I am not afraid to say I was hooked on Torchwood instantly, Gwen as well. I struggle to remember a television program with the quality of acting that Torchwood displays with each episode. The depth and emotion of the characters is....well....gripping.
With each episode I find myself more and more emotionally attached to the actors and there struggles. I know that this show will continue to be a huge success, and I can only hope that it will air in America soon. America longs for this level of craftsmanship bonded and polished with these powerfully written scripts. In closing I wish to express my earnest thanks to Gwen, whose powerfully emotional acting renewed my faith in talented, and HOT, television actors.(actresses if you prefer). I'll end by standing and just saying.....BRAVO....BRAVO

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger Carla said...

I love Gwen!! I just wished that the relationship she has with Owen (aka Burn Gorman) could be more explored... I thik they make a cute couple.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home